Adventures in vegetarianism continued….Mushroom Tacos!
May 9, 2017
: 15 min
: 15 min
: 45 min
- 12 ounces mushrooms, washed and chopped
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 or 2 fresh green chiles (or 1 jalapeño), stemmed, seeded and diced
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 small lime, juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large ripe tomato OR 3/4 of a 15-ounce can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Step 1 Heat mushrooms, onion, chile, broth or water, lime juice and lard or other fat in a medium-size saucepan.
- Step 2 Bring to a boil, medium-high heat, cover and cook 3 minutes.
- Step 3 Uncover and cook until all the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms begin to fry in the fat.
- Step 4 Separately, puree tomato with garlic.
- Step 5 When mushrooms begin to fry, add the tomato and cook until liquid has reduced and the mixture is thick, about 5 minutes.
- Step 6 Season with salt.
- Step 7 Serve in tortillas, with chopped cilantro or lettuce, queso fresco, or diced white onions and lime juice.