Adventures in Vegetarianism continued…Cold, rainy day + Grilled Cheese with Heirloom Tomatoes and Jalapeno Corn Chowder = Delish!
Jalapeno Corn Chowder
June 6, 2017
: 15 min
: 45 min
: 1 hr
- 1 small sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ears sweet corn, husk and silk removed and cut from the cobb
- 2 fresh jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese (room temperature)
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1½ cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Step 1 Heat a large sauce pan or dutch oven to medium heat.
- Step 2 Add olive oil and chopped onion, sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step 3 Add corn and chopped jalapeños, sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Step 4 Add broth, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Step 5 Cover and reduce heat to medium low, let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Step 6 Remove lid and add cream cheese and cheddar, stir well. Let simmer uncovered for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step 7 Garnish with cilantro and green onions if desired.