Adventures in Vegetarianism Continued…Is it Winter? Or is it Spring? Smashing together a forever long winter into some Spring like weather with Gnocchi in a Nutmeg Al Fredo, Mushrooms & Shallots Sauteed in White Wine, Spring Mix dressed in Red Pepper Vinaigrette, and topped with a soft-cooked egg. The cheesy Al Fredo sets the base, for the chew of the mushrooms and the crunchy acidic greens, all brought together with a velvety yolk.
Gnocchi in Nutmeg Al Fredo with Mushrooms
- 1 lb gnocchi
- 5-6 medium mushrooms, portabella, sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4c white wine
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- scallion, for garnish
- NUTMEG AL FREDO
- 1/4lb butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1c heavy cream
- 1c milk
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1c shredded parmesan
- 2c spring mix
- 1/2c red pepper, diced
- 1/4c red wine vinegar
- 1/4c olive oil
- Step 1 Start water boiling for gnocchi, add some salt.
- Step 2 Prepare and cut vegetables, measure ingredients.
- Step 3 In small bowl, combine red pepper, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Step 4 Heat oil in pan, add shallots, simmer, add mushrooms, salt, let saute.
- Step 5 Heat butter, add flour, whisk, let foam develop.
- Step 6 To empty pan, heat oil for egg.
- Step 7 To mushrooms, add white wine. Remove from heat.
- Step 8 To butter, add cream and nutmeg, simmer until foaming
- Step 9 Drop gnocchi in boiling water.
- Step 10 To butter and cream, add cheese, milk, whisk. Remove from heat. Season as needed.
- Step 11 Remove floating gnocchi, into sauce.
- Step 12 Fry egg, covered, 2-3 mins
- Step 13 Dress salad and plate with gnocchi and mushrooms
- Step 14 Finish with egg, scallions and black pepper
- Step 15 Enjoy!